Though my blog posts have been few and far between- I have still been cooking and creating strong meals for my family. I came across this salad on food52 (a website that was created to, “help people become better, smarter, happier cooks”).
This salad is perfect for all those cold winter nights we’re are ALL dealing with right now!
Warm Squash and Chickpea Salad with tofu croutons
- 2 pounds butter squash peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt and black pepper
- 14 ounces canned or home-cooked chickpeas, drained
- 4 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, crushed to a paste with a pinch of salt
- 3 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons tahini paste
- 2 tablespoons water, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Heat the oven to 425°F.
- Toss the squash with the garlic, olive oil, and some salt and pepper.
- Place on a tray, optionally lined with parchment, in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until soft. Remove and allow to cool slightly.
- While the squash is cooking, make the tahini sauce. Mix the crushed garlic with lemon juice and add the tahini. Now thin with the water and olive oil, and check for seasoning. You should taste a balance between the nutty tahini and lemon.
- To assemble the salad, place the squash, chickpeas, tofu croutons and cilantro in a mixing bowl. Pour on the tahini sauce and remaining oil and toss carefully. Season with salt and pepper
This salad is so warm and inviting- you and your family will definitely fall in love with it!
Now that things are starting to slow down at home (note: this does not include Maddie who is now crawling)- I’ll be sharing our meals more regularly.